Also known as sepsis, blood poisoning is a potentially life-threatening condition resulted from an infection.
This problem happens when chemicals which are really released into the bloodstream to combat the infection cause an inflammation in the body.
The inflammation triggers a torrent of signs and symptoms which compound the harm caused in your body. If you are looking for home remedies for blood poisoning, it is necessary to understand basic information about this condition to deal with it the right way.
- 1. What is Blood Poisoning?
- 2. What are Causes of Blood Poisoning?
- 3. What are Symptoms of Blood Poisoning?
- 4. What are Risk Factors of Blood Poisoning?
- 4. Home Remedies For Blood Poisoning
- 5. Prevention
1. What is Blood Poisoning?
Blood poisoning is a serious condition which happens when the bacteria are in the human bloodstream.
In spite of its name, this infection in fact does not have anything to do with poison. Despite it is not a medical term, blood poisoning is commonly used to describe septicemia, sepsis, or bacteremia.
Actually, sepsis is a potential fatal condition. It could progress to sepsis quickly. Thus, prompt diagnosis as well as treatment is necessary for curing blood poisoning, but understanding the risk factors is the initial step in the prevention of this condition.
Sometimes, people misunderstand sepsis and septicemia but they are different. Sepsis is the serious complication of septicemia. Sepsis happens when the inflammation throughout your body happens. This inflammation could result in blood clots as well as block oxygen, thereby resulting in organ failure.
2. What are Causes of Blood Poisoning?
Blood poisoning happens as bacteria causing infection in another body part enter your bloodstream. The bacteria presence in the blood is referred to as septicemia or bacteremia.
Sepsis could be triggered by an infection in any body part. This condition might develop when the person are already in hospital. For instance, you will be prone to develop sepsis if you:
- You have had a urinary catheter fitted
- You have had surgery recently
- You have to be in hospital for a long period of time
Some common causes of infections that could lead to sepsis are:
- An infected insect bite
- Abdominal infection
- Central line infection, like from a chemotherapy catheter or a dialysis catheter
- Exposure of a covered wound to the bacteria during the surgical recovery, or not frequently modifying a surgical bandage enough
- Exposure of open wounds to the environment
- Skin infection
3. What are Symptoms of Blood Poisoning?
Common symptoms of blood poisoning are:
- High or moderate fever
- Rapid breathing
- Increased palpitations or heart rate
- Paleness of skin, particularly on the face
- A number of these signs and symptoms are accompanied with this flue or other ailments. Nonetheless, if you have gone through surgery recently, or you are undergoing the recovery of a wound, it is crucial to visit your doctor instantly after going through these potential signs of blood poisoning.
- Some advanced blood poisoning symptoms might be serious and include:
- Organ failure
- Red spots on skin which might grow and look like a purple, big bruise
- Little or no production of urine
Blood poisoning could result in respiratory distress syndrome as well as septic shock. In case that this condition is not treated the right way, those complications could result in death.
If an individual is suffering from the mentioned-above symptoms and they are thought to be suffered from an infection – abdominal infection, pneumonia, urinary infection or a wound, then blood poisoning is a likely cause.
4. What are Risk Factors of Blood Poisoning?
Despite blood poisoning could impact us all, men seem more susceptible than women, black people are prone to this disease than white.
Besides, it is shown that some people seem more susceptible to sepsis than others. They include:
- Young children
- People having weakened immune system, like people with leukemia, AIDS, and HIV
- Older adults
- People using intravenous drugs like heroin
- People using a catheter
- People with poor dental hygiene
- People having recent dental work or surgery
- People working in an environment with exposure to viruses or bacteria, like in the outdoors or hospital.
Diagnosis Blood Poisoning
Sepsis is usually diagnosed based on simple measurements like your heart rate, temperature, and breathing rate, and might require a simple blood test.
There are three crucial goals upon diagnosing sepsis. They are:
- Determine the infection source
- Determine the infection type
- Determine the way and the influences on other body functions
In order to diagnose sepsis, some tests might be carried out, which are urine tests, blood tests, stool sample tests, kidney, heart and liver function tests, blood pressure tests, etc.
Recovery From Sepsis
The period it takes to completely recover from blood poisoning varies, depending on some factors, which are:
- The overall health of the sufferer
- The severity of the condition
- The amount of time spent in hospital
- Whether treatment was necessary in an ICU
Some people make an entire recovery faster than others and not everyone goes through long-term problems. Nonetheless, possible problems might include physical symptoms like:
- Muscle weakness
- Feeling excessively tired or lethargic
- Joint pain or swollen limbs
- Post-sepsis syndrome
- Breathlessness or chest pain
Being severely ill could also have an emotional or psychological influence, resulting in problems like depression, fear or anxiety, insomnia or nightmares, short-term memory loss or poor concentration.
4. Home Remedies For Blood Poisoning
Here are top 10 natural home remedies for blood poisoning:
This is a herb which has been commonly used since the ancient times in order to help cure a lot of human ailments. Thanks to the content of curcumin – the ingredient boosting protein levels in the blood, turmeric can help relieve blood poisoning symptoms naturally. If infused with much more protein, your blood could fight and thwart of different types. In addition, turmeric could also defeat swelling without causing any side effects.
To make use of turmeric for food poisoning treatment, you can add a pinch of turmeric to your dishes when cooking your meals. For additional benefits, you could put a teaspoon of turmeric to the cooled or boiled water, then consume.
Another effective solution for sepsis is garlic. This ingredient has a compound called allicin, helping in reducing the inflammation throughout your body. Furthermore, it can improve the immune system significantly.
To make use of this plant, you can take a fresh garlic clove to peel off, then mix it with a tablespoon of honey. Consume this mixture daily morning to help improve the ability of fighting infection and treating blood poisoning of your body.
According to a study in the University of Malaya, honey is a crucial treatment for blood poisoning. Researchers showed that honey acts as an immunomodulator which can improve the treatment for sepsis significantly.
You just need to take at least 2 tablespoons of honey daily or apply a poultice of honey to your affected wound once per day to get the best results if you have a wound. You can also consume honey mixed with milk or other healthy drinks to help you stay healthy while fighting against blood poisoning. In case
Lobelia And Slippery Elm
This is reckoned one of the most effective home remedies for blood poisoning, particularly if you have wounds. Once you have wound, the bacteria from that wound may spread to your blood and lead to blood poisoning.
Thus, making use of these herbs will help control the symptoms of this condition naturally.
Make a paste by combining equal amounts of these herbs and some water.
Then, apply this paste on your affected area, cover it with a bandage, and change when necessary.
Experts say that oxidative stress is a main factor in blood poisoning. Also called as ascorbic acid, vitamin C has lifesaving effects by combating the oxidative reaction, whilst stimulating the nitric oxide production and lessening the microvascular dysfunction which might result in organ failure. Also, it decreases platelet adhesion, making the blood platelets less prone to form clots.
It is not surprising that vitamin C has great effects on sepsis. This indispensible water-soluble vitamin is an anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and useful anti-aging substance. Because vitamin C could not be stored within the human body, it must be obtained via diet as well as supplementation. You can take advantage of vitamin C, either as citrus fruit or a supplement.
A number of families with food poisoning history or wounds have used this ingredient as an incredible home treatment to save their lives many times. You can take an Irish potato, then wash it. Cut it on half. You had better scrap a pile of mushy raw potato. Next, put a piece of Irish potato in the plastic bag to keep the potato juice. After that, wrap this solution around your problematic area. That way, you will see the redness caused by food poisoning disappear while other symptoms of this condition go away steadily.
According to a study executed by Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, it was shown mung bean’s extract is Beneficial in fighting against blood poisoning. This type of beans is known as Vigna radiate.
Being native in India, mung bean is also used as a part of cuisine in Indian and China as well. The HMGB1 – Deoxyribonucleic acid protein, a reason for the inflammation of the body, could be decreased if you use mung bean as your treatment. When consuming mung bean, you will neutralize the effects of HMGB1, meaning that you can reduce the risk of blood poisoning.
Herbal infusions can be made use by using dandelion leaves, birch and nettle leaves. It is recommended to take 1 teaspoon of each type of leaves above. Then, put the mixture into boiling water. This solution will help you remove the toxins which result in blood poisoning.
Rest And Exercise
Among home remedies for blood poisoning, this should be done right instantly. Regular exercise and having appropriate rest will keep your body, heart and brain fit and fine. It can relax muscles and give your body a chance to nourish itself and prepare to beat off diseases.
You should spend some time from your busy schedule on exercising and warrant that your body is still fresh. This way, the heart will provide fresh blood to the body, keeping it health and active.
This remedy sounds too simple, but it does work with some tips. Towel treatment can reduce redness around your affected area. Use a hot clean towel to place it on your affected area. After the towel cools down, heat it again and repeat the routine.
In the 3rd round, when the hot towel cools down, you had better take a cold towel to place on the wound. The process of 2 hot and 1 cold towel can take off the redness. It brings good results if done twice per day.
People having a weakened immune system are especially vulnerable to the impacts of infection. If you are in such case, take extra precautions. The followings are some must-know precautions to take:
- Stop smoking as this may weaken your immune system
- Avoid using illegal drugs because they also weaken your immunity
- Warrant that your immunizations are updated. Your GP will give advice to you. Vaccinations are readily available for some common infections accompanied with sepsis like influenza and pneumonia.
- Have a healthy diet to improve your immune system
- Regularly wash your hands, especially after going to the toilet, after spending time in the crowded places, and before and after preparing food.
It is said that meticulous infection control techniques are the best defense against blood poisoning. For those hospitalized patients with high risks of contracting the infection, special care should be taken in order to treat and clean wounds, burns, and sutures using sterile techniques in the antiseptic environment.
This also applies for maintaining invasive medical devices as intravenous lines, gastric and nasal tubes and catheters. The support of these devices can be limited whenever possible.