Playing high-end gaming on the Laptop is not a day dream anymore with the introduction of External Graphics Cards which are used to boost graphical performance of your laptop through a Thunderbolt port. And if you are wandering to find the best external graphics card for your laptop, do not miss our list of top 7 best external graphics cards (eGPUs) reviewed in 2019.
Here Are Top 7 Best External Graphics Cards (eGPUs) In 2019
1. AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box
AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box is a compact and portable external graphics enclosure of Gigabite – a premium gaming brand. In spite of being the smallest and lightest eGPU enclosure on the market, GTX 1070 Gaming Box contains incredible features to turn any Ultra portable Laptops into Gaming Machines.
- Geforce GTX 1070 for better graphics-intensive game and VR experience
- Thunderbolt™3 for faster connection
- Easy to carry with pint-size design
- Quick Charge 3.0 and Power Delivery 3.0 support
- 3 USB 3.0 ports for peripheral devices
- RGB Fusion 2.0 – a wide range of lighting effects
The good: AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box is the most affordable eGPU with built-in GTX 1070 card on the market. We really like the Gaming Box portable design with 2.4kg heavy and 8.3″ long by 3.7″ wide by 6.4″ deep, making it very easy to game on the go. The ability to provide the speed up to 40Gbps while delivering 100W to charge the laptop thanks to Thunderbolt™ 3 connectivity is quite impressive, too. Another interesting feature of the Gaming Box is its additional USB ports in the rear box for connecting with peripheral devices. One of the ports is an extra Quick Charge 3.0 port used to charge mobile devices. The last thing we want to mention is its noise. The Box runs quietly thanks to the side cooling vents which provides enough airflow so that the fans don’t have to spin up too much
The bad: Coming with mini GTX 1070 included inside the small chassis, The Gaming Box might get trouble in finding an alternative mini build.
The verdict: The Gaming Box might surprise you with its high price at first, however, for a long run, it is a cost-saving option. If you are looking for less space eGPU, AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box is a great choice.
2. Razer Core V2
Razer Core V2 is the updated version of Razer Core with some key refinements such as bigger outer shell for more powerful GPUs, a TI83 USB-C controller for higher Power Delivery and better MacOS compatibility. Besides, with the help of Thunderbolt 3, Core V2 can easily turn any tiny laptops into giant gaming computers.
- Thunderbolt 3 external graphics enclosure
- Plug and play with compatible graphics cards
- Supports any PCIe graphics cards for work and play
- 4 USB 3.0 ports and Ethernet for connecting all devices
- Variety lighting effects with Razer Chroma
The good: The overal design of Razer Core V2 is absolutely perfect and professional with all CNC-machined aluminum construction and excellent cooling fan as well as unique Chroma lighting effect. Razer Core V2 comes with Thunderbolt 3 support which is theoretically compatible with a number of laptops, including non-Razer laptops. The plug and play feature allows your laptop to quickly connect with Razer Core V2 without restarting your laptop when using this eGPU.
The bad: With 3,5 kg weight, the Razer Core V2 is considered quite heavy making it inconvenient to bring around. One more drawback of Razer Chroma is that for non Razer laptops, you still need an external graphics support, even if your laptop has Thunderbolt 3 port.
The Verdict: With premium construction, easy access, powerful features and ability to support workstation-grade GPUs, Razer Core V2 deserves to be listed as one of the best external graphics cards in 2019.
3. ROG XG Station 2
XG Station 2 is an upgraded version of XG Station offering CES. With 600 W power supply and aluminum chassis, the XG Station 2 aims to boost gaming performance and turn your boring laptop into a powerful gaming machine.
- 600W 80-PLUS Gold Internal Power Supply
- 4 USB 3.0 ports for printers, external storage drives, and other useful USB peripherals
- Thunderbolt™ 3 boosting data transference up to 8X and video bandwidth up to 4X
- NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 900 series and AMD Radeon R9 series graphic cards compatibility
- Plug and play for extended gear connectivity
- ASUS Aura Sync technology for perfectly lighting synchronization
The good: At its high price range, XG Station 2 will not disappoint you with the ability to easily transform a Thunderbolt™ 3-enabled notebook or 2-in-1 PC into a VR-ready gaming machine, offering you the best gaming experience. Furthermore, its Ultra lighting system with the millions of colors and different effects offered by ASUS Aura RGB lighting is extremely impressive.
The bad: Unlike other Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosures which will be on once the connection is active, the ASUS ROG XG2 does require you to hit START button to activate it and you have to press START button again to switch it off. Besides, Asus has intention to produce XG Station 2 in pair with its laptops, thus it requires Asus thunderbolt 3 enabled laptops to work with, other laptops might need the help from external support.
The verdict: If you want to experience a VR-ready gaming machine right on your laptop, then the ROG XG Station 2 is what you shouldn’t miss.
4. AKiTiO Node
AKiTiO Node is an affordable external graphics enclosure lauched by AkiTiO- a well-known computing manufacturer. Although it is not the most compact of GPU cases, it is still an ideal eGPU to give your Thunderbolt 3 enabled laptop a big boost.
- Thunderbolt™ 3 for fast transfer speeds of 40 Gbps
- Built-in 400W SFX power supply to provide extra power to GPU
- PCIe x16 slot supplying up to 75W of power
- 4 lane PCI Express 3.0 compliant interface
- Carry handle for easy transport the device
The good: AKiTiO Node comes in similar size and weight with Mini ITX computer case, which makes it compatible with almost any modern GPUs. The ability to run on different system set-ups (including Mac builds) also makes AKiTiO Node different from most listed eGPUs, which are designed to pair with a specific laptop line. The carrying handle is quite convenient for taking this eGPU around as well.
The bad: In order to offer a competitive price, AKiTiO Node comes as a pure external GPU box without extra USB 3.0 ports, a SATA connector nor a GbE controller and shorter cables
The verdict: Being a simple external graphics enclosure, AKiTiO Node is a good product for those who want to get real graphics performance in a Thunderbolt 3-equipped laptop in an affordable way.
5. Sonnet EGFX Breakaway Box
Sonnet EFFX Breakaway Box is another affordable external graphics enclosure which has released by a US-based company that makes all manner of Thunderbolt expansion chassis for PC and Mac. Although Sonnet EFFX Breakaway Box is not as appealing as the ROG XG Station 2, It is still perfectly functional for those who want to experience gaming on laptop.
- Thunderbolt 3 Ports for connecting High Performance GPU Cards to Laptops
- Supports Cards With Popular GPU Chipsets including AMD Radeon R9 and RX and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 7, 9 and 10 series
- x16 PCI Express 3.0 slot for full-length, full-height, single- or double-width card
- 550W or 600 W system power supply supports up to 375W and provides up to 87W upstream power for laptop charging.
- Mac and Window Users’ certification
- Quietest eGFX System Available with large variable-speed, temperature-controlled fan
The good: Breakaway Box has an excellent performance in supporting multiple displays. Accelerated graphics can be displayed on both connected laptop ’s screen and external monitors when Breakaway Box is connected with a Thunderbolt 3-equipped laptop. What we like most in this eGPU is its water block cooler which runs quieter than active fan, making Breakaway Box the coolest and quietest eGFX box on the market.
The bad: A minus point for Breakaway Box is its short Thunderbolt 3 (TB3)
The verdict: If you are looking for a portable eGPU for your Macbook or Ultrabook, Sonnet EFFX Breakaway Box is worth your penny.
6. Alienware Graphics Amplifier
Alienware is also a well-known company for producing gaming hardware and Alienware Graphics Amplifier is one of its best products for gaming. Coming with a toaster-like shape, Alienware Graphics Amplifier allows you to attach a full-length desktop graphics card — includes Nvidia GTX 980 or Radeon HD R9 295X2 — to your laptop, offering the best real game experience right on your laptop.
- Standard 15W for downstream bus-powered devices and up to 100W for upstream charging for Thunderbolt 3/USB-C laptops.
- PCIe Lane – x4 PCIe connection over Thunderbolt 3 provides optimal bandwidth.
- Thunderbolt 3 providing full 40Gbps bandwidth and 100W PD
- Proper cooling of both eGPU as well as Thunderbolt 3 connection through the system PCH & CPU
- CPU Architecture – Quad-core CPU minimizing performance loss
The good: Alienware Graphics Amplifier has simple design with lots of cooling vents around the box, making the graphics card cool and perform better. The four USB ports at the rear helping you easily connect with laptops. This model also comes with great compatibility with some graphics cards such as the AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards, the Raedon RX 470 and the GTX 1070 and more powerful graphic cards.
The bad: The big shape of Alienware Graphics Amplifier can make you confused. Moreover, there is a big drawback of this external graphics card is that it only works best with Alienware gaming laptops.
The verdict: If you have an Alienware laptop and looking for gaming experience on your laptop, Alienware Graphics Amplifier is suitable choice for you. It not only boosts the gaming performance, but also extends the lifespan of an Alienware laptop.
7. Mantiz Venus MZ-02 eGPU
The Venus Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure has been launched as a functional and impressive model from Mantiz. It is definitely an option for you if you are looking for a premium eGPU but in affordable price.
- Plug & Play in both Windows 10 and MacOS 10.14 Mojave
- Built-in 550-W power supply, max. 375 W with 8+8 Pin for the GPU
- 5 external USB 3.0 ports for more extension devices
- A internal SATA 6G connection, and gigabit Ethernet connected via USB to preserve bandwidth
- Full Aluminum anodizing case + 120mm System cooling fan
- Power Delivery 2.0 with 87 W for charging a laptop, notebook, Ultrabook, or MacBook
- Windows 10 and MacOS 10.13.4+ support without extra drivers needed
The good: Venus MZ-02 eGPU comes with 550W power supply which makes it perfect for running your top graphics card without any problems. The performance of this model is quite outstanding. It runs well on Mac Pro 15 series and a various Windows notebook without causing any issues. The simple and clean design with full aluminum anodizing case makes it strong construction and appealling both gamers and professionals.
The bad: Included with two cooling fans, this model can annoy you with its noise level which can be a bit loud compared with other eGPUs. However, Mantiz’s engineers are working on this issue. Besides, its high standby power consumption is also an issue to consider.
The verdict: If you’re hunting for a stylish but powerful eGPU and you want your desk to look like a MOMA exhibit, the Mantiz MZ-02 is a pretty brilliant choise.
Going through the list, you can easily realize that each eGPU has its own outstanding feature and it does fit with certain purpose. Within this list, our thumb up is given to AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box which comes with a 4K and VR-ready graphics card support offering you best high end gaming experience. Moreover, with its super mobility, it is absolutely an excellent companion of your laptop.
If you have any eGPUs which you think we have missed, feel free to drop your comment below.